Friday, December 23, 2011

Laser Fun

I have stumbled across the wizard of all crafting tools: a laser cutter! I lucked upon the opportunity to use one through a friend. She has been using it to make jewelry and crafts of her own - check out some of the awesome things she has made:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/creativeninjask/

The laser can precisely cut and etch a variety of materials including paper, wood and plexiglass. The cutting is automated by a computer which reads drawing files. It's surprisingly simple to use and cuts quickly and flawlessly. So far, I have visited the laser twice. I showed up the first time with some simple materials and a few prepared drawings, curious as to what the laser was all about. Here is what I came away with:

Wood etching

Paper cutouts, intertwined

For my next visit, I wanted to craft something for the holidays. I decided to create a snowflake. Their beautiful symmetry, complex geometry, and perpetual uniqueness has always appealed to me. I also have a vivid memory from elementary school when we decorated large plastic snow flakes for the holidays. I always wanted to make my very own...



If my laser cutting has inspired or sparked your curiosity, check out the place I've been going to:  http://pagodaarts.com/ 
Let me know if you have any questions or aspirations of your own!

Happy Holidays with wishes of health and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment